Search

Search this blog:

Search This Blog

New Zealand Region Map for Synoptic Panel Power BI Custom Visual


If you've attended one of my Power BI training sessions, you may have heard me recommend the Synoptic Panel Custom Visual for Power BI developed by OKViz. This visual is highly customisable and interactive without requiring any custom coding. It enables you to turn any image into a data chart, with the ability to customise colours based on data values from your live data model. I have used this visual for reporting health & safety incidents by location and body part, stock levels by factory region, and customer information by region.

I have had a few questions lately about how to easily map NZ data by region, so thought I would share my own NZ regional map that I have created. It is a regional map for New Zealand District Health Board regions to go alongside the NZ 2018 Census data that I often use for NZ reporting and statistics. When used in conjunction with the Synoptic Panel custom visual, you can create regional shaded maps for New Zealand based on your data to look something like this:

To use this visual, simply download the Synoptic Panel from the AppSource/Marketplace, and download my .svg file. Your data must have a column containing NZ region names matching the DHB spelling. Place this field in the categories field of the visual. Place whatever value you want to display (population, revenue, number of customers or sales or incidents) in the measure field. The image above was created using explicit states to set 5 distinct colours, but you can also turn on saturation to make the transition between colours more gradual based on the actual value of the measure. 

As always, post any questions or comments below and let me know how you get on!

Download the .svg map file and sample data from my sample data site

Custom Visual Review: Charticulator

This is not your ordinary custom visual - this is EVERY custom visual. Charticulator puts the power to design and develop custom visuals to ...